Caring for Yesterday’s Treasures—Today is a new series of free, online courses about the preservation of archival and historical collections. Tailored to the needs of staff and volunteers at libraries and archives, each course includes four to six interactive webinars presented by preservation experts. The instructors will address the specific questions that you and your fellow participants have about the care of collections at your institution. Each course will have its own Web page with handouts and links to additional resources. When the course concludes, participants will be able to continue the conversation with instructors and classmates via the Connecting to Collections Online Community.
- Collections Care Basics: Where Do I Begin? – January 2013
- Risk Evaluation: First Step in Disaster Planning – February 2013
- Protecting Your Collections: Writing a Disaster Response Plan – March 2013
- Caring for Digital Materials: Preventing a Digital Dark Age – April 2013
- Caring for Photographic Materials – May 2013
- Caring for Audiovisual Materials – Fall 2013
- Fundraising for Collections Care – Fall 2013
- Outreach Activities for Collections Care – Fall 2013
Although registration is free of charge, we ask that participants submit a permission form signed by their supervisor to attend selected courses. Participants will earn a certificate of completion if they attend all the webinars in a course and complete simple homework assignments. Note the registration will close one week before the first webinar in each course.