Date: Thursday, April 11, 2013
Time: 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Place: Online at http://infopeople.org/whats_new_childerns_lit_2013
Presenter: Penny Peck
Discover the new books that you can recommend to children who use your library! Hear about books published in Fall 2012, and upcoming Spring 2013 titles, that will be popular with children ages 0-12. These include picture books, easy readers, transitional fiction, genre fiction for middle grades, graphic novels, poetry, nonfiction, and more!
Hear about books that will appeal to the “reluctant reader,” boys who may have drifted away from reading, and books that will have popularity with a wide audience of children.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Be able to identify “read-alikes” – other books you can recommend to children after you find out their favorite book
- Discover books that will grab the attention of reluctant readers, including the newest graphic novels for kids, nonfiction, and popular culture titles
- Be able to name some new books relating to the Common Core
- Hear a recap of the recent ALA awards (such as Newbery, Caldecott, etc.) and other recent children’s book awards, to make sure you have these available to recommend
- Take away a list of helpful websites to use when doing readers’ advisory, and sites that will help you keep up-to-date on the latest children’s books
This webinar will be of interest to: any library staff or volunteer who serves children ages 0-12, in either public or school libraries.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Join Webinar button now or go directly to the webinar by clicking on Join Webinar on the day of the event on the Adobe Connect server. If you pre-registered you can use your email address and password you created to speed up entry to the webinar. If you did not preregister and you login with in 30 minutes of the event you can enter as a guest without a password. All webinars are archived for later viewing at http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar/archived.