Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Time: 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Place: Online at https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=404
Presenter: Penny Peck
Discover the new books that you can offer to children who use your library! Hear about books published in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 that will be popular with children ages 0-12. These include board books, picture books, easy readers, transitional fiction, genre fiction for middle grades, graphic novels, poetry, nonfiction, and more!
Learn about books you can offer to teachers who are seeking materials that relate to the Common Core, especially the hard-to-find informational books for primary grades. Hear about books that will appeal to the “reluctant reader,” and books that will have popularity with a wide audience of children, including much-needed children’s books with multicultural characters.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Know about new children’s and tween books for various age ranges and reading levels, including very simple new books for those just learning to read
- Learn about new multicultural books to meet the needs of all children
- Be able to name some new books relating to the Common Core, including informational picture books perfect for Preschool through grade 3
- Be able to identify “read-alikes” – other books you can recommend to children after you find out their favorite book
- Know books that will grab the attention of reluctant readers, including the newest graphic novels for kids, nonfiction, and pop culture titles, and a list of very short novels for tweens
- Take away a list of helpful websites to use when doing readers’ advisory, and sites that will help you keep up-to-date on the latest children’s books
This webinar will be of interest to all library staff or volunteer who serves children ages 0-12, in either public or school libraries.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button on the InfoPeople page. If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event. All webinars are archived for later viewing at http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar/archived.