Date: Monday, December 05, 2016
Time: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Place: Carondelet Hospitality Center, 385 Watervliet Shaker Rd, Latham, NY 12110
Cost: $50 per person, lunch included (fee covered by MVLS’ NYS Family Literacy Grant – see details below) Registration link: http://nyspep.org/professionals/strong-roots/
Many parents find it difficult to prepare their young children for school success, and can be baffled or even intimidated by the school culture. This one-day institute will share information about the social and emotional development of both parents and their children- from pre-school through elementary school, provide new strategies to assist you in helping parents support their school-age children, and will reveal the “hidden rules” that govern school relationships with parents.
When You Attend, You Will…
- Obtain knowledge regarding the social emotional development of the Pre-K through Grade-6 span
- Learn strategies that support parents of the Pre-K through Grade-6 child
- Learn strategies to help parents strengthen the relationship between parents and the school
- Learn the “hidden rules” of what schools expect of parents
- Understand how to empower and equip parents with strategies to help keep their children focused, engaged, and excited throughout their school career
Start Your Morning With…
A facilitated panelist forum with a regional mix of experts. Invitees include: Pyramid Model trainers, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS) specialists, and NYSPEP Credentialed Parenting Educators. Panelists TBA.
Then Focus Your Learning On…
Specific skills, tools, and resources to use with the parents you serve, based on the child’s age. Select ONE of the following afternoon workshops when you register. Workshops run concurrently.
- Birth to Pre-K: School Readiness for Birth to Pre-K will be facilitated by a Pyramid Model trainer
- Kindergarten to Grade-6: Helping Parents Support Children’s Learning in Pre-K to Grade-6 will be facilitated by a PBIS specialist
Pre-registration is REQUIRED. If you would like costs reimbursed by MVLS, you must register, select the invoice option, and send the invoice to MVLS by October 21 with the name of the participant; MVLS will then send a check for the workshop. Note the refund policy should participants not attend; MVLS will need to be reimbursed should the registrant not attend. (NYSPEP CANCELLATION POLICY: Refunds minus a $20 processing fee per person will be issued ONLY for written cancellations postmarked 30 days prior to the training. All unpaid registrations will be billed for the appropriate balance. No-shows will be billed in full – no exceptions. If you’re unable to attend, we encourage you to send a proxy.) Sue will be attending and will coordinate carpooling for those interested.