Mansion, Duanesburg, NY
Mansion was built by William North on Duane Lake during the years 1789-1791.
The house, built in the Federal style, is on the National Register of
Historic Properties. It has a view to the north of the Normanskill Valley
and to the south of the Bozenkill watershed. William North lived there
until he retired to New York City in the 1800's where he died in 1833.
His son, William Augustus Steuben North, who was a Union College graduate
and became a lawyer, continued to live in the house as a gentleman farmer
of its nearly 1000 acres.
1862 the family sold the house to the McQuaids, who occupied it through
the 1940's. The McQuaids sold 600 acres away from the property in the
1920's and a group of developers developed Duane Lake, which currently
has about 80 homes surrounding it. The Jocelyn family bought the house
in 1947. The house had not been lived in for awhile so they spent about
three years taking it apart and putting it back together. The present
owner, David Vincent, has lived in the house with his family for 13
years and has restored much of the house to its original style and detail.
William North, the
original owner and builder, came to Duanesburg in 1787 having married
Mary, the eldest daughter of James Duane, the town's founder. North
was an officer in the Revolutionary War who served on Washington's staff,
and was an aid to Baron Von Steuben, who became a General. Steuben was
a friend and became a frequent visitor at the North Mansion.
North went on to
become Speaker of the State Assembly on three different occasions. In
the 1790's North was appointed U.S. Senator and served for about a year
then was named Inspector General and Adjutant General in the Army under
General Alexander Hamilton. He was also first Chairman of the Schenectady
County Legislature when it broke away from Albany County in 1809.
of interview with David Vincent