The Schoharie Free Library is situated in the rural village of Schoharie. The Library was chartered in 1916 and began with a total of 958 volumes. It was sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution and was housed on the second floor of the D.A.R. Hall on Main Street. The first librarian was Miss Florence Tiffany.
The Library became an Association Library in 1959 and joined the Mohawk Valley Library System at that time.
In 1963, after a fund drive spearheaded by the Schoharie Kiwanis Club, the Library moved to the former Jacob Miers house at the corner of Bridge Street and Knower Avenue. The Library became known as the Mary Beatrice Cushing Memorial Library in memory of the late wife of James Cushing, President of Schoharie Stone Corporation. Mr. Cushing donated one-third of the $15,000 necessary to refurbish the 1866 Victorian house and turn it into a working library.
When the Library relocated to its present home. 11,000 volumes were moved. In the same physical space, the 1999 volume count was 19,000! With the "modern" addition of videos, CD's, audio books, magazines and computers, the Library is currently bursting at the seams. Planning began in 1998 for renovation of the present structure and the addition of a Children's Area. Information on the building campaign is available at the library.