Position Title: Library Director
Location: Northville Public Library, 341 South 3rd Street, PO Box 1259, Northville, NY 12134
Salary: $52,000- $65,000, dependent upon experience and qualifications
Apply by: September 15, 2023. Send cover letter, resume and 2 references, in PDF format, to the Northville Public Library at email@example.com.
Position Start Date: December 1, 2023
The Northville Public Library (NPL, https://northvillepubliclibrary.mvls.info/) is located on the Great Sacandaga Lake in the Southern
Adirondacks in a small community with a population of approximately 1,500, which triples during
the summer boating season and doubles during the popular ski and snow-mobiling season.
Northville is a destination town for many folks looking for the rejuvenation this little village offers,
and the library serves as a central spot for everyone.
The Northville Public Library began as a bookmobile close to 40 years ago. Then, when a small
TV repair business was purchased it soon became the new library location. In the last three
decades it has grown extensively with several building additions, meeting rooms, and an art
gallery that showcases many talented artists from all over NY State.
The director will oversee all aspects of library programs and services. These include library finances, information systems and technology, buildings and grounds, collection development, public relations, community outreach and customer service. The director must foster a strong working relationship with the Board of Trustees, staff members and volunteers, patrons, the local school and community organizations.
● Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree in Library Sciences and/or Information
● Experience in a library setting, ideally w knowledge of library operations in a rural
● Relevant management and/or supervisory experience
● Highly proficient w library computer technology, electronic resources and ILL
● Excellent communication skills
● Positive, proactive attitude and ability to work well with others, including children of all
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Ability to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for staff and patrons
● Proficient w Library software, social media, Google docs, Microsoft
● Attends monthly Board meetings, emergency Board meetings, and submits necessary
● Supports and implements the library’s mission, goals, strategic plans, and administers a
budget of $350,000
● Plans, organizes, and coordinates programs for library patrons and community members
● Completes mandated state reports
● Assists in establishing long-term plans and works w the Board of Trustees to seek out
and write grants
● Manages library volunteer policies, assignments and schedules
● Handles personnel related matters
● Prepares preliminary annual budget for submission and subsequent approval by the
● Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other government
agencies, civic and community groups and the general public
● Keeps informed of professional development through participation in professional
● Always looking for ways to improve the library’s standing in the community and new
ways to support its community members
● Supervises the maintenance of buildings and grounds, recommending necessary
replacement, repairs, alterations, new construction to the Board, and finding suitable
grants for procurement
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. The Northville Library Board of Trustees reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to amend its policies, programs, and/or guidelines, including the contents of this job description, at any time without prior notice.